Tuesday, January 18, 2011

. Favourite Beer of the Week

Have you ever seen Disney's The Black Cauldron?

I haven't.



Okay, I've seen it now.

Disney's
The Black Cauldron is a schmaltzy Lord of the Rings knockoff.

Sauron is played by Skeletor.



The Palantirs are replaced with a pig.




And this hairy thing is Gollum.




He looks like Geppetto, but he sounds exactly like Andy Serkis.



In 1985 Disney's The Black Cauldron was the most expensive animated movie ever made. It took 12 years to produce and lost millions of dollars (millions of dollars was a lot of money in 1985).




A big bottle of Grand Teton's Black Cauldron is only $7.99.




It's an imperial stout - very dark and thick and chocolaty, and a bit boozy. And delicious.




I recommend it to you for drinking over Christmas, or any other festive occasion, such as the weekend.

It is brewed deep in the Misty Mountains of Idaho by these ladies.



Beer brewing was traditionally women's work until the 15th century, at which time brewing became profitable and all the women brewers turned out to be witches and had to be burned to death, like on this bottle of Lost Abbey Witch's Wit.



The label caused a bit of a commotion last year. Vicki Noble (Astrologer, Shamanic healer and professor of Tanspersonal Psychology) saw it and wrote to her friends - “Can you imagine them showing a black person being lynched or a Jewish person going to the oven?... Such images are simply not tolerated in our society anymore (thank the Goddess) and this one should not be, either.”



Noble's friends sent emails to the brewery accusing them of inciting violence against women.

One email said, “Screw you, you fat ass beer slugging alcoholic Christian Ass Hole.”


The brewery said they would change the label, but I don't think they did.


The witches in Disney's The Black Cauldron don't do any brewing.
In fact they don't do much at all of any consequence.



One of them sticks a frog down her cleavage.



This was Disney's first PG rated animation.



It's considered one of the darkest of all Disney's animated features, seconded only by 1987's The Brave Little Toaster.



That one's an adorable adventure that kids will treasure, with a dark subtext of abandonment, obsolescence, and loneliness.




Like Toy Story 3.

Have you seen Toy Story 3?




I haven't.

3 comments:

swtcurran said...

I saw the black cauldron on opening day. I wish I hadn't.

I saw the brave little toaster on opening day. I remember being impressed.

I saw toy story 3 about a month after it opened. I found the toys annoyingly neurotic. Did they learn nothing from their previous adventures?

anthony said...

I rented Toy Story 3 over Christmas. Nif refused to watch it so I sent it back.
:)

Jenny Lerew said...

Old post, but funny(and lovely images)!

Best thing about Cauldron, which I saw only once on the old Disney lot in a crew screening(I didn't work there), was the end credits which were beautifully drawn by--someone.