Sunday, April 29, 2012

. Book of the Month



George Orwell wrote Animal Farm and 1984 and this book Coming Up for Air that you've never heard of. 


It's about a fat man in his 40's having a mid-life-crisis while he recalls events from his life and worries about the impending Second World War.   There's a lot about "progress" and how things keep getting worse and how you can never go back to the way things were, and how there's never time to go fishing.


It's told in the first person in a casual but not entirely convincing voice that's like a 1930s version of Michael Caine in Alfie


I liked it all except for one weird, incidental character right at the end who's ridiculous and annoying.  But other than that I think it's great and you should read it.



Next month we will be reading The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.

5 comments:

James said...

Based on this amazing review, I just bought it.

anthony said...

Wow. I'm like oprah winfrey.

theshulthatstartedwriting said...

finishing up "a sense of ending" really loving it.

theshulthatstartedwriting said...

finished. sense of ending. now, this ending certainly begs for discussion and pliney. thanks for the recommendation. loved it. next?

James said...

Read it.
I don't like fishing but I know someone who does.
I like looking at small things. This morning I looked at a bee for over one minute.
Who is the nudist vegetarian?
A jolly good read.
I'm thin, but I'm thinner inside.